Saturday, August 28, 2004

So I'm twenty years old.
Yesterday was my birthday.
Sweet.

I'm twenty years old now. As in, I am no longer a teenager. My parents can no longer tell their friends and aquaintences "We have a teenage daughter" and watch in dismay as these uninformed ninnies roll their eyes, "tsk, tsk," and shake their heads in pity, as if they had just been informed of some sort of natural disaster. No more.

I'm twenty years old now. I've completed two decades of my life. And although part of me thrills to the knowledge that no one will make assumptions, unfairly judge, or automatically label me by my "teen" status anymore, another part of me trembles to think that that loathed term -- my safety net, my security blanket, my built-in excuse -- has been taken forever.

So I'm twenty years old.
Sweet.

This is going to take some getting used to.

No comments: