Monday, October 18, 2004

The rejuvenating qualities of a much-needed weekend are numerous, and when some events, visits, and conversations seem positively *ordained,* it's more reassuring than ever that the Lord is indeed at work in our lives, no matter how hard we try to suppress His claim on our existence.

For numerous reasons, this past weekend could have been miserable. There was my test on Thursday, which didn't exactly go as planned. Well, so it sort of went as planned, but I definitely didn't like the plan. And I hadn't prepared for the plan. The plan stunk, ok? Then, there was the Gala, which flooded Hillsdale's campus with a ridiculous surplus of donors, gaudy chandeliers, and linen napkins. And I was sick, which automatically made the sky two shades grayer. And my voice two octaves lower. (hey, Baby. kidding.)

So I missed Ann Coulter. And I missed singing *and other such novelties* with the choir due to the distinct possibility that I may have started hacking in the middle of Battle Hymn or passed out cold on the risers. And, true to form, I missed Dan Quayle's speech on Saturday morning, as well. Rock on.

BUT.

Situations like these are a blank canvas for our awesome Father, Who mercifully takes these opportunities to paint majestic masterpieces with whatever materials we'll give Him to use. And with every brush stroke, He made this weekend a more beautiful picture of His grace and provision.

On Friday night, the night my roomie had to go out of town so she could be in Lansing for her teaching test the next morning, Betsy Foster -- an alum, former leader of my Bible study, and a dear friend -- came to visit me. Betsy's strong faith, gentle leadership, and loving friendship make her *such* a wonderful role model and an even more precious friend. She and I had the chance to talk for as long as my voice would hold out, and I got the *distinct impression* that God was talking to me, urging me, convicting me... all through our conversations. It was a beautiful thing. As it turned out, Betsy needed a place to stay overnight, so she was able to sleep in my roomie's bed since Kristin just *happened* to be gone the night Betsy came.

This weekend was also a special weekend because another dear friend of mine, one Joy Hendricks, came to visit from the University of Minnesota Morris. She attended Hillsdale last year, became an SAI sister and official member of the, um, Prankster Princess Posse (in fact, she might be the President!), and promptly felt called to leave to minister on one of the most un-Hillsdalian campuses around. Seeing Joy this weekend has thoroughly refreshed my spirit in ways I can't even explain in words -- her bold faith and radiant love for Christ shine into every word and action -- she's not just a light, she's like a million watt bulb!

So on Saturday, after performing with choir for the donors, Kristin came back to the dorm with Joy and Tami. Having felt sufficiently un-social for the better part of Friday and Saturday morning, I was determined to participate in *whatever* adventure they might be embarking upon. This adventure's name was lunch. A bit disenchanted -- but not to be left behind with my cough drops and echinacea -- I hurled myself (ok, scooted) into Joy's car with the other three girls and we made our way to Oakley, where I enjoyed hot soup, a warm multi-grain roll, and the fabulous company of chatty, giggly, and *silly* friends for an hour and a half. (um, WHERE IS THAT RECEIPT???)

After we'd loitered in Oakley sufficiently, we prepared to head back to campus, but Joy had other ideas. So even though it was already lightly raining, we turned our little car and headed out to Allen to an apple orchard. Which could have been fun, if our teeth weren't chattering and our fingernails turning blue. So instead, we parked and ran full-tilt-boogie to the door of... a gift and antique shop. And with the wind howling outside and the temperature only *slightly* higher inside, we wandered around checking out cider doughnuts, fruit preserves, Earl Grey Tea, antique recipe books, vintage aprons, 35 cent books, Christmas ornaments, old hats ("Look -- you're the Queen of England -- and I'm your truck-ah!"), teapots, perfume spray bottles from when our grandmothers were young, strings of pearls, and silly knick knacks galore. We left with cider and a beautiful old hat for Joy, thanks to Kristin's bargaining skills.

Later Saturday night, the lobby of Koon became movie-night central, and we decided to introduce Cate Larsen to the joys of one of the ultimate girlie-movies -- The Princess Diaries. She popped the popcorn, I made the hot chocolate, we all got comfy... it was definitely a GIRL NIGHT. Well, until Ben showed up. But it was still great after that, thanks to Cate's toasting skills, among other things...

Church on Sunday morning was not what I originally intended. But that's the great thing... it's what God intended all along. See, I'd planned to go to Pine Ridge with Joy and Tami, but I got sidetracked and wasn't ready in time. So I went to United Brethren with Cate and Ben, rather reluctantly. But here's the thing. The Lord will speak to us through just about anything, as long as it's biblical teaching and if we're willing to give it a chance. And as bummed as I was about missing out on Pine Ridge's sermon -- if I hadn't been listening for it -- I could have *really easily* missed out on God convicting me through UB's message. Sure, it wasn't what I was looking for or hoping for. But some of the most pertinent reminders God sends us come from unexpected sources when we're tapping our foot, looking at our watch, waiting for someone or something else entirely.

Brunch on Sunday was an amazing donor meal, catered by chefs brought in from who-knows-where to feed the people who are supposed to give multi-million dollar checks to our school to fund our programs. They eat *extremely* well. And for once, so did we.

Sunday afternoon was lazy. I sat on Kristin's bed with her, under her "warmness blanket" (otherwise known as an electric blanket), ate M&Ms, and watched Pirates of the Caribbean. Although, it might be more accurate to say that we *recited* the movie, for it appears that my roommate and I have now seen "Pirates" so many times that we are now able to recount entire portions of dialogue on command, and it is completely unnecessary to have the characters say their lines for us to find the humor in them. We must simply project what they will say, when they will say it, and that will suffice. Kristin and I will laugh an inordinate amount, our stomachs will hurt, and tears may eventually fall. In any case, it's a good time.

Saga dinner on Sunday was horrendous. This is not shocking, however.

At 10:00pm on Sunday, Joy and I scurried up the hill (incognito, sort of) to Catacombs... it has been SO LONG since I've been to Catacombs with Joy... it was WONDERFUL! It was just like last year again... I could hear Joy harmonizing in my ear with every song, and singing the benediction was bittersweet because I don't *know* when I'll get to see her again after she leaves to go back to Morris! But at the same time, I'm so happy because I know God is using her for His glory and the furthering of His kingdom -- how exciting is that?

And the last thing we (Kristin, Joy, and I) did Sunday night (after introducing Joy to Killer and George and fixing a certain desktop to "I am that hero!") was sit in "the Box" and listen to Emo Phillips. Funny man. Funny jokes. Funny voice.

Oh, and in case I forgot to mention it... this whole time, the Lord was definitely healing me. Because I didn't really want to stop having fun with people once I started again. So it wasn't really the Vitamin C. It was God being cool. Unfortunately, I think my roomie might be getting sick now. I'm sorry, Kristin.

Ok, and before I'm done with this crazy-long blog...

* Kristin got me the Good Luck Care Bear! Yay!
* Adrienne and Dean totally rock for bringing me Oakley while I was sick -- thanks, guys!
* Sean Michael is a ruler-cool friend for letting me use his "warmness blanket" and making hot cider when I was feeling yucky on Friday night!
* Matt Macaulay is sick now. I don't know if I had anything to do with getting him that way, but I feel really bad and I hope he gets better really soon. *hugs*
* We now have a quote board in Koon. Come check it out. Add to it. You might already be on it.


Ok, now I'm done. I think. Yep.
Whew!




No comments: