Saturday, October 23, 2004

Some thoughts before I go to bed...

Visiting the nursing home yesterday was so utterly rewarding. To start out, I randomly selected two names off of the Concerned For the Elderly list as names of women I would visit one-on-one during my hour-long time slot. See, before this, I'd been going during the residents' dinner hour, which -- aside from being awkward for the residents because they'd inevitably offer me their roll -- made me feel uncomfortable for interrupting their mealtime to ask questions. Often, their multi-tasking skills weren't the best, and dinnertime conversation tended to halt once the main course arrived and they had to focus their energies on cutting meat, opening packaged rolls, and chewing thoroughly.

Anyway, I'm now visiting earlier in the day, so I had planned on developing a more personal relationship with one resident. Yesterday was my experimental day -- I was going to visit with two women for about a half hour each and see who seemed more receptive to (and in need of) a random visitor. Well, of all the names on the list, the two women I picked out ("These sound like nice names! I think I'll give them a try") just HAPPENED to live together in room 161 -- yes, they're roommates. Not only that, but it turns out that BOTH women have connections to my hometown; one has a son and daughter-in-law who live and work there, and the other has a son-in-law who went to high school at Stevenson, one of the three Livonia district high schools. These ladies are *fascinating* women; they're vibrant, social, and have senses of humor that haven't faded with their advanced ages. I am honored -- and in a way, saddened -- that they are so willing and eager to talk, share pictures, tell stories, and open up their lives to me -- a complete stranger. At the same time, I am convicted by their obvious desire for interaction -- they crave it -- and the realization that there are many people in these nursing homes, needing and craving human interaction just like these women, who will not be visited.

And someday, will I be one of them?

On a lighter note, we also had the SAI date party yesterday. I was accompanied by Sean Michael, and I must say, I had a *wonderful* time! (Thank you for coming with me, friend -- I hope you enjoyed yourself as well!) Kristin, Cate, Tami and I all coordinated by wearing our extremely fall-ish sweaters, and even got a *supercute* "sweater picture" before we left for dinner. King Chinese Buffet was delicious ("do you need some more Pesi?" UM. yes please?) The corn maze -- by the time we got to it -- was awesome -- even when we got lost going in circles and hit dead ends ("BAD DECISION #47... TAKE TWO") Not that getting lost isn't the point *wink wink* ("I will seduce you with an ear of corn!"... for original reference, see Kristin) Anyway... we all eventually made it back to the SAI House for the bonfire (beautifully constructed, I must say, by my date), which was also a success. The fire was pretty, the s'mores were yummy, the hot chocolate was perfect, and the company was top notch... ("Cate, can you imagine YOUR kids playing with MY kids?"... "Johnny, HTP -- you are OOC!"... "By the power of Poseidon...!" :: Cate's laugh :: I can't quote it, but it's definitely worth including somehow) Whoa. Good times.

Ok, well... with that, I think I need to go to bed... my pillow and I have some good times, too. Just not enough lately.

G'night, friends.


No comments: